Scholarship Offer Has Expired – Please Don't Submit Essays at This Time
Hedding Law Firm, a Los Angeles criminal defense and DUI law firm is offering an annual $2,500 scholarship for students who are currently attending or enrolled in college or graduate school. We understand the rising costs of education are continuing to be a struggle for many students who are seeking to obtain a higher education. We believe that by helping students with financial struggles associated with a quality education, our country will become a better place for future generations. This annual scholarship is intended to support hard working students who are in need of financial assistance. We urge all students to apply and look forward to reading the essays.
Our annual scholarship of $2,500 will be awarded to one student every year and the selections will be based on the overall quality of the applicant's essay.
In order to apply for the Hedding Law Firm $2,500 student scholarship, applicants must submit a 500+ word essay on the following topic:
Solutions for the High Recidivism Rate in the United States
Recidivism is the percentage of former prisoners who are rearrested. It's defined as a tendency to relapse into a previous condition or mode of criminal behavior. In many cases, these repeat offenders are placed back into incarceration. The United States incarcerates more people than any other country in the world, but few considered the social cost. Inmates are hidden from society and separated from their family for years. Life in prison is ugly and often violent. Most inmates are incarcerated for committing non-violent crimes to support an addiction. The stigma and injury from imprisonment doesn't end with their eventual release. On any given day, most of the prison population is probation or parole violators, who have not committed a new crime, but have violated one of the long lists of rules they have to navigate to maintain freedom. It's an endless cycle and has not worked.
However, there are also many inmates in prison who are repeat offenders. According to the National Institute of Justice, about 68 percent of prisoners released from prison are arrested for a new crime within three years of their release from prison, and 77 percent were arrested within five years. In your essay, discuss alternatives to mass incarceration and potential solutions on dealing with recidivism.
All applicants for the Hedding Law Firm Scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college, university, or a law school in the United States
- Applicants can include high school seniors, college freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, JD.
- Applicant must provide the name and address of the school where they are enrolled
- Applicant needs to demonstrate a need for financial assistance
- To submit your essay, email us the completed essay and proof of acceptance into your college or graduate school. Send your essay to: [email protected]
- In the body of your email, include your name, address, phone number, and the name of your current or planned school. You can include a brief paragraph telling us about yourself and your career-related goals
- The subject line in your email should read: “Hedding law Firm Scholarship”.
When you submit your essay, you are giving the Hedding Law Firm permission to use your name on our website other social media sources as the winner of the scholarship. Only one winner will be selected every year.
Scholarship Award Sent Directly to your School
Your personal information is strictly confidential. All information received from the applicants will be used only for the purpose of awarding the scholarship. The $2,500 award will be issued by sending a check in your name to the accredited college or university. It can be used towards any expenses connected to your education.